Clearly Scholarship Program
As part of Clearly’s commitment to promoting education opportunities, we are proud to offer a scholarship of $5,000 to college and university students studying within Canada.
Congratulations to: Rod Vafaei, winner of our 2017 essay contest.Find out more v
Who can apply
This scholarship is available to all full-time students enrolled in accredited Canadian colleges and universities with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
What we want
An essay of 500-600 words answering the question below. PDF format is preferred. Please include your name, email, and phone number at the top of the first page.
When to submit
Thank you for submissions! The application deadline has now passed and essays are in review. While we thank all of the applicants for their submissions, we will only be contacting the award winner directly. Once the winner has been verified, we will make the announcement on this page.
As our Vision Care team is unable to answer questions related to the scholarship winners, kindly do not contact our customer service lines with inquiries.
What would Canada look like if your major didn’t exist?
This scholarship is available to any full-time student enrolled in an accredited Canadian college or university with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. This includes current and recently graduated high school students accepted into these programs for 2017.
Clearly.ca Optical Educational Support Contest
1. Eligibility. No purchase necessary. A purchase will not improve your chance of winning. The Clearly.ca Optical Educational Support Contest (the "Contest") is sponsored by Essilor Group Canada Inc. d/b/a Clearly.ca (“Sponsor”) and is open to legal residents of Canada who are 18 years of age or older and are enrolled for the 2017/2018 school year in an accredited school, college or university located in Canada (“Entrants”). Eligible Entrants who have already begun study must be in good standing in their program with at least a “C” average or better at the time of entry and at the time the prize is awarded to be eligible. Employees, directors, officers and principals, of Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, contractors, agents and members of their immediate families (defined as parents, spouses, children and siblings, whether biological, adopted or in-law) or households (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate in this Contest. This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
2. Entry Period. Entry into the Contest starts at 12:00:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) on March 27, 2017 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on July 31, 2017 (the "Entry Period"). Limit one entry per person. All entries submitted become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Entries generated by a script, macro or other automated means are prohibited and will be automatically disqualified.
3. How to Enter: o enter the Contest, Entrants must write an original essay (the “Essay”)) between 500 and 600 words that answers the following question: What would Canada look like if your major didn’t exist?
Additional requirements for the Essay are set forth in Rule 4, below.
In order to submit your Essay, visit the www.clearly.ca (the “Contest Website”), click the Contest tab, complete an official online entry form, upload your Essay, and transmit the entry form and Essay as directed.
Essay and entry form shall be referred to jointly herein as an “Entry.” All Entries must be completed and uploaded in their entirety on or before 11:59:59 a.m. EDT on July 31, 2017 to be eligible.
By participating in this Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Contest Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
4. Entry Requirements:
a. Essay as well as all information on the entry form and must be in English.
b. Essay must be no less than five hundred (500) words and no more than six hundred (600) words.
c. Essay must not contain any third party copyrighted or proprietary material (including but not limited to literary works of any person other than the Entrant, corporate names, trademarks, slogans, or lyrics) or otherwise infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of a third party. The Essay may mention Sponsor’s products, provided it does so in a positive manner.
d. Essay must not include the identification of any individuals, living or dead, other than the Entrant (however, generic references to others, not by name, is acceptable; e.g., “my husband …”, “my boss …”, “my kids …”, etc.).
e. Essay must be Entrant’s own original and individual creation.
f. Essay must not have been previously entered, and may not in the future be entered, into any other contests or competitions, or have won any other awards.
g. Essay must not depict Sponsor negatively and must be in keeping with Sponsor’s desired image, and must not mention any products that are competitive to or incompatible with Sponsor’s products or products sold by Sponsor
h. Essay must not contain any commercial, political, religious, or other third party advertising or messaging.
i. Essay must be suitable for general audiences and must not contain any of the following content: (i) defamatory words or statements, including words or symbols that are considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group; (ii) any lewd or sexually explicit suggestive content; (iii) any content that promotes use of alcohol, tobacco, firearms/weapons, or any violent, unsafe or dangerous behavior, activities or situations; (iv) threats to any person, place, business or group; (v) profanity or obscenity; (vi) any thing that would disparage or offend persons or organizations associated with Sponsor; (vii) anything which incites, encourages or depicts dangerous conduct, stunts or tricks, or behavior or acts that are unsafe, wrongful or immoral; or (viii) anything that violates federal, state or local laws and regulation.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, and at any time during the Contest, to disqualify any Essay that, in its sole opinion, does not comply with these requirements or these Official Rules.
5. Finalist and Winner Determination: All eligible Entries will be judged by a panel of qualified Sponsor employee representative(s) (the "First Round Judges") based on the following criteria (each given equal weight): (a) agreement that the Essay forecasts a future state in which the writer's current field of study does not exist, and the resulting impact of that lost information/specialty; (b) creativity and uniqueness of subject matter of Essay; (c) how well written the Essay is.
6. Winner Notification. The potential Winner will be notified by e-mail at the e-mail address provided in the entry form on or about August 15, 2017 (the “Winner Notification”). An Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (“Prize Claim Forms”) will be attached to the Winner Notification. The potential Winner must complete, sign, have notarized and return the Prize Claim Forms to Sponsor postmarked within seven (7) days of the send date of the Winner Notification. If the potential Winner is an eligible minor in his/her province, such forms must be completed by the potential Winner’s parent or legal guardian. The potential Winner will be disqualified and will lose all claim to the Prize if (a) the potential Winner does not return the completed Prize Claim Forms to Sponsor by the date specified, (b) the potential Winner is determined to be ineligible, (c) the potential Winner fails to comply with these Official Rules, (d) the potential Winner fails to accept a Grand Prize, or (e) if the Winner Notification or Prize is returned as undeliverable. In such event, time permitting, the Entrant who submitted the Finalist Essay with the next highest score will be named the potential Winner (in such case, the same notification and prize claim process will be followed for that potential Winner. Sponsor will not be required to award the Prize if neither the first nor second potential Winner is verified.
7. Winner Announcement. Once verified, the Winner will be announced on the Contest Website on or about September 1, 2017.
8. Prize. The Prize consists of CAD $5,000 to be used for Entrant’s tuition and expenses related to pursuing his/her education. The Prize will be awarded in the form of a check to the Winner. The Winner (or his/her parent or legal guardian if the Winner is a minor in his/her province of residence) will be responsible for all federal, provincial, local and other tax liabilities resulting from acceptance of the Prize.
By accepting a prize, the Winner agrees that Sponsor and those authorized by Sponsor may use Winner’s name, likeness, statements, biographical information, and city and province of residence for advertising and trade purposes on a worldwide basis (without review by such winners) in all forms of media, without further compensation, remuneration, or authorization.
9. Sponsor’s Rights in Non-Winning Essays. By submitting an Entry each Entrant grants to Sponsor and those authorized by Sponsor a perpetual license to use the Essay, in whole or in part and in any derivative works based thereon, and any ideas contained therein without any limitation of any kind, including for uses not known as of the time of Entry.
10. Sponsor’s Rights in the Winning Essay. By submitting an Entry and accepting the Prize, the Winner irrevocably assigns, conveys, and otherwise transfers to Sponsor any and all right, title, and interest in perpetuity throughout the world in and to the Entrant’s Entry, including, without limitation, any and all copyrights, and licensing rights, and other intellectual property and proprietary rights in the Essay, and the exclusive right to edit, change, revise, reproduce, display, perform, publish, distribute, license, sublicense, and sell the Essay in whole or in part, and to prepare, use, and exploit derivative works or improvements thereof, in all forms and media now or hereafter known, including material in digital and electronic media, computer, audio, and audiovisual versions, and translations and adaptations, all in any language throughout the world and in Sponsor’s sole discretion in perpetuity. Before being awarded the Prize, the potential Winner must confirm this assignment in the Prize Claim Forms that he/she is required complete.
11. Release/Indemnification. By entering the Contest, each Entrant agrees to release Sponsor, its parent, affiliated and subsidiary companies, and each of their officers, directors, employees, principals, agents and representatives (collectively the “Released Parties”) from any and all expense, cost, damage, liability, claims, suits or other losses (collectively “Loss”) as a result of their participation in this Contest, as well as any and all Loss that Entrant may now or hereafter have in any jurisdiction based on “moral rights” with respect to exploitation of the Essay by Sponsor or those authorized by Sponsor. Entrant agrees not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against Sponsor or the other Released Parties, on the grounds that any use of the Essay as authorized herein, or any derivative works thereof, infringes or violates any of Entrant’s rights. Entrant grants Sponsor, and anyone authorized by them, the right, but not the obligation, to use the Entrant’s name, image, likeness, hometown, and biographical information in connection with Sponsor’s use of the Essay, without limitation and without compensation. Entrants shall not receive any compensation or credit for Sponsor’s use of Entries, other than that disclosed in these Official Contest Rules.
By submitting an Entry in this Contest, Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and the other Released Parties from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against Sponsor or Released Parties due to or arising out of the Entrant's Entry, use by Sponsor (or those authorized by Sponsor) of the Entry as authorized herein, or the Entrant's conduct in creating an Entry, including but not limited to claims for trademark infringement, copyright infringement; idea misappropriation, patent infringement, violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy; or defamation. Entrant further agrees to release Sponsor from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising presentation, Web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of Sponsor infringes Entrant's rights with regard to any elements, characters or ideas contained in any Entry.
12. Limitation of Liability/Arbitration/Jurisdiction/Choice of Law: Except where prohibited by law, by entering this Contest, each Entrant agrees that (a) any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively, by final and binding arbitrations; and (b) judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. Under no circumstance will Entrants be permitted to obtain awards for, and each Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorney’s fees, and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. Each Entrant agrees that this agreement is governed by the laws of the British Columbia.
13. General Provisions: This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws. By participating in this Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any promotional materials and the terms and conditions of the Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. All material submitted become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded.
14. Notice to Online Entrants: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sponsor and the other Released Parties, and all of their agents, are not responsible and shall not be liable for: (a) any telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, including without limitation, server malfunction or by any human error which may occur in connection with the Contest or in processing of Entries and votes; (b) failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions; (c) late, lost, illegible, incomplete, damaged or misdirected Entries; and (d) any condition caused by events that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted. By participating in this Contest, Entrants, participants, and winners (collectively “participants”) all agree that in no event will Sponsor and Related Parties, or any of the other Released Parties, be responsible or liable for any damages of losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or punitive damages arising out of such participant’s access to and use of the Contest Website, the downloading from and/or printing material downloaded from said Contest Website, or submitting an Entry on the Contest Website. Without limiting the foregoing, everything on the Contest Website is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest for any reason including if fraud, misconduct or technical failures destroy the integrity of the Contest; or if a computer virus, bug or other technical problem corrupts the administration or security of the Contest as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted on the Contest Website, and in Sponsor’s sole discretion, a Winner may be determined following the judging criteria and methodology set forth herein from the Entries already received as of the date of notice termination or of the date of the event resulting in termination. Proof of submitting an Entry will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or the like methods of participation will void all such Entries made by such methods. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit the participation of an individual if fraud or tampering is suspected or if the account holder fails to comply with any requirement of participation as stated herein or with any provision in these Official Rules. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the Entrant will be deemed the person named in the entry form associated with the Entry. Only one name may be placed on the Entry.
16. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Essilor Group Canada Inc. d/b/a Clearly.ca, Suite 400 - 2955 Virtual Way, Vancouver, BC V5M 4X6.
You're good to go! Thank you for joining.
Add us to your favourites so you don’t miss out